Sunday, October 24, 2010

memorizing

A few days ago I sensed the Lord calling me to a specific verse. Do you ever have this happen? My husband and I were praying and he said,"The wicked borrow and do not repay and we don't want to be like the wicked, so Lord help us to get and stay out of debt"! Well, that is something I can agree with, and it impressed my heart and mind and stuck with me in a way that most prayers don't. That night, I decided to once again pick up my Autobiography on George Mueller and what page should I open to but one with a Scripture explaining why him and his mates decided not to ask openly or beg for their needs to be met for the orphan homes that they felt called to operate. This time it was Romans 13:8 "Owe no one anything except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law"(I did that without looking it up and without hesitation, Praise God!
Then the next morning when I sat down to my Bible reading time, I opened up to the assigned chapter, Romans 13 and there it was again. That is when I knew that this verse was for me. I love it when that happens. Thank you Daddy.
Keep on showing me your love, open my eyes and ears and show me!!
I had also already had it heavy on my heart that I was not really applying myself to memorizing scripture. I know some just because I have been reading the Bible or other books about the Bible and done may Bible studies through the last 13 years, but I haven't been really trying, I would write a verse down on a notecard and read it several times per day but not be able to take it to heart with my mind.
I was checking my blog subscriptions and one of them was about why to memorize scripture. It had a few you tube vids from John Piper on the subject.
First of all, I had no idea that he ever yelled from the pulpit. Secondly, I had never thought about all the useless weapons I yield towards the powerful enemy of my soul. Thank you Mr. Piper!
Again, I knew that the Lord was speaking to me all at once. To call me to a deeper, more committed walk of His Word.
At the bottom of the post there were also some links to sites that help you with memory verses. Awesome! I have only joined one, Memverse.com, and I love it. It is actually fun, not overwhelming and it works. If you want to grow in your memory verse bank, this is a great way to do it. I have yet to check out the other suggestions.
My goal is 10 verses by November 15(I think)
Already, I realized how many I do know, just needed to put the address on and pay closer attention. And I definitely know Romans 13:8, it is my meditation.
Thank you Father, my King.

1 comment:

  1. Praise God for your goal in memorizing His holy word. I cannot encourage people to do this enough! I hope that all goes well and that you may continue to use your memory in the service of our Lord.

    ReplyDelete